2/16/2010

Ruby Tuesday#38 Happy Chinese New Year!

The New year for the Chinese Lunar Calendar has officially started this Sunday, the same day as Valentine's Day. Traditionally, sweet and/or sticky food, fish and other traditional Chinese food is served on the table.

This is tikoy which is made of steamed, glutinous rice. It is sweet and sticky and has sweet ground peanuts in its core. It is commonly given to friends and loved ones during new year to wish them good luck for the coming year.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Happy Chinese New Year!


Go here for more.

11 comments:

Ralph said...

A cookie unknown to us in the US. Yet, a sweetened biscuit tastes fine no matter the composition. The sweet ruby in the middle seems to be an invite to enjoy!

Ers said...

I miss that food. can't remember the name though. :) basta anything na malagkit. thanks for sharing.

Patti said...

Interesting treat. I never had sweet rice.

Happy Ruby Tuesday!

afv said...

It looks like a sticky rice...would have loved to try this one.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I miss tikoy!

Celebrated it with Dad

fetus said...

tikoy! my fave! i love eating it and feel the stickiness in my mouth and the sweetness of the peanuts! yum yum!

Auntie E said...

Lots of red, Happy New Year.

maryt/theteach said...

Looks dee-lish! I'd love to taste it! Happy New Year and Happy Ruby Tuesday! :)

Marice said...

i wanted to have some tikoy since sunday but unforch we havent have the time to buy any :) yummy!

u may view mine here

♥ Kathy said...

It's made out of rice? Neat :) Happy Ruby Tuesday

Snooze said...

happy chinese new year. I went this year to ours in Melbourne, Australia and it was wonderful. I go every year if I can.