6/21/2010

Are Chemotherapy Drugs Really Without Senior Citizen’s Discount?

Finally, I was able to get the needed vials of Oxaliplatin for my father. A helpful lady told me to try this little known pharmacy store near a hospital. Thankfully, they had stocks of Oxaliplatin when I got there. However, when I asked if I could avail of the senior citizen discount, I was told that it was already discounted and the discount is already unnecessary. Curious with the question, I asked what would the Oxaliplatin’s price be if I don’t ask for a senior citizen’s discount. The answer was it would be the same price. Imagine that.

The batch of Oxaliplatin I mentioned will be used for my father’s second chemotherapy session. The first batch was bought from his doctor. Similarly, when I asked for a senior citizen’s discount for the first batch, I was told that chemo drugs are without Senior Citizen’s Discount. I was about to argue that medicines no matter what kind are subject for the said account but my mother prevailed on me to stop.

How on earth are chemo drugs not included in the Senior Citizen’s Discount? To think, these drugs are quite expensive and only a few people can actually sustain buying it for several sessions without any help at all. My parents advised me to just let the issue pass but cancer treatments already cost an arm and a leg (no pun intended) with the cocktail of drugs needed to help treat the cancer patient. The Senior Citizen’s Discount would have been a big help.

I really hope the proper authorities will look into this. They will help a lot of cancer patients and their families if this issue will be addressed immediately.

0 comments: