8/07/2010

Rollercoaster Ride

It has been almost a week since I've posted here. I was planning to post on a daily basis but sudden unhappy circumstances came about.

I have been worrying about my father's increasing breathlessness for the past few days. Along with my mother, I tried to convince him to see the doctor but he kept saying that it was the side effect for his chemotherapy. It was not so.

Last Monday, my mother forced him to get to the hospital because he was getting weaker. Thank goodness that when his breathlessness became too much for him, he was already admitted and the doctors were able to help him. Unfortunately though, he went into CVA. He was admitted in to the ICU and was under respiratory assistance ever since. His lungs were drained of fluids and his body responded well. The doctor started weaning him and up until last night, his breathing improved.

We were hoping that his condition would steadily improve but late last night, the doctors told us that he may have to undergo dialysis if his urine output would not improve. Apparently, his kidney shut down after taking too much assault from the medicines. While discussing our options, we were called again by the doctors and was told that our patient stopped oxygenizing and the scheduled dialysis will have to be done immediately.

We were told to prepare the platelets and we scrambled to find some all over the city. His doctors came one after the other looking like they were roused from their sleep and had a conference. After their meeting, we were assessed again with my father's situation. The only solution was the dialysis but there was no assurance that it would improve his situation. We consented for the procedure. I felt weak and dizzy but my mother looked more shellshocked than me and my brother.

This morning, the doctor reported that his dialysis went well. My father is now being observed closely. Through all these, we prayed. May God be with my father and my family.

0 comments: