9/14/2010

Rainy Season Is Here

The other day, the weather bureau announced that for the remaining days this month, there will be four more typhoons that will pass through the country. With the typhoons, more rainy days are to be expected. This week alone, we had rains on a daily basis.

Rainwaters may feed our earth but it also can become an inconvenience or can even be fatal to anyone. Floodings in some countries worldwide have caused a lot of fatalities. US Open Men’s Final was postponed for another day the other day because of the rains. (Thankfully, Nadal won over Djokovic.) The taxi driver I had yesterday was complaining about his car seats getting wet on the rainwater although I wonder why he had not installed rain guards to prevent that.

With the rainy days in mind, my mother has already hired somebody to do some house repairs for the rainy days. We cannot be too complacent as we have had some scary experiences from it. One particular incident comes to mind which happened years ago.

It rained continuously that day. It started on a late afternoon and continued well into the evening. We went to bed with the rains still pounding down our roofs. Sometime at around 2am, I woke up feeling cold. I heard a squishing noise and saw something floating in the dark. When I tried to step out of the bed to feel for my slippers, I hit water. Water that reached up to my knees and was about to reach the top of my bed. I shouted for my parents and brother. They woke up and was shocked to find the rising water. We scrambled to save some of our possessions and climbed up the doubledecked bed of my brother. We prayed for the waters to stop rising and sleep became elusive for all of us. Thankfully, the water did stop.

Anyway, I always have with me an umbrella in my bag nowadays. The weathers seem too erratic to expect a full dry day. I wonder if a cousin already bought the wind deflectors he had been planning to buy. It will be a good investment for him.

0 comments: